Journal: stuff we like
Chia -What’s all the Fuss?!
I shunned Chia seeds for ages – I figured they were just another faddy ‘Superfood’ that would cost 10times more than other seeds.
Then I saw my Manager at Evolve Wellness, Mimi, drinking them in a smoothie and was intrigued. She told me that when you soak them in water they swell up and act like little water bombs, hydrating your colon and improving digestion. As I always feel dehydrated and I like the idea of trying new things, I went and bought a little bag of them.
Ok, they look odd – like frog spawn – so not that appetizing – and they don’t really taste of anything. However, in my protein shake they added a new consistency, a bit like how I would imagine the popular ‘bubble teas’ to be. I kept drinking them like this for a couple of weeks and I must admit, I started to really like them and more importantly – see and feel a big difference in myself.
My skin was better – the odd spots I tend to get started to clear up, my skin felt plumper and had a glow to it. My digestion was better, I felt lighter, my stomach was flatter and I seemed to have more energy.
So I started asking my nutritionist friends about these funny blobby seeds. Here are some facts I found out…
– is 20% complete protein with all 8 amino acids – great for vegetarians
– is high in antioxidents – 4x higher ORAC value than blueberries
– contains 3x more iron than spinach (move over Popeye)
– helps to slow down the absorbtion of sugars and balance blood sugar levels and so is great for diabetics and those trying to cut down their sugar habits
– has 8 times more Omega 3 (the one we tend to lack in) than salmon. So instead of depleting over-farmed fish stocks taking fish oils, we can simply eat these little goodies!
– has 7x more vitamin C than oranges
– is a great source of sustained energy – I’ve seen ‘Chia Shots’ being sold in health food shops. The idea behind this is for distance training/hiking etc – knock back a shot of the dry seeds (easy to carry) and drink some water to keep you feeling satiated and energised.
The list of goodness in Chia is endless….
Apparently, Mimi’s way of drinking Chia is known as ‘Chia Fresca’ and is really common in Mexico where they add the seeds to juice or water (a great way to support a juice fast). However, you can also sprinkle the dry seed onto your food, make desserts from them or even sprout them!
I am completely converted and have now bought a super sized tub as it’s recommended to eat a tablespoon a day. I’m going to give sprouting them a go so will let you know how that goes….
Joseph Pilates teaching in his pants with his gorgeous student opera singer Roberta Peters and wife Clara. He was looking pretty darn good at 70 huh?!?
Click here to see the photos.
Terry Crews muscle-activated drum kit
Terry Crews muscle-activated drum and percussion kit:
Click Here to watch the video